Football Italian – The man with a head tumour who has spent years in hospital has a new hope for his future after doctors removed his brain stem.
The former Milan star, 34, was admitted to hospital in Milan on Thursday after undergoing surgery for the severe brain tumours.
The first brain tumor had been discovered in 2011 but doctors said the condition was not life-threatening.
The operation was performed by the neurosurgery team at Milan’s Sestri Hospital.
Doctors removed part of his skull with screws and connected it with the skull of a patient in a similar condition.
The patient, who is now in a coma, is expected to survive.
Doctors said that although the operation could not remove the tumours, it is possible to keep him in a vegetative state for six months.
Doctors hope that this will give him time to decide whether he wants to continue his career as a footballer or to try to get help.
He is currently receiving the first round of treatment and could be out of surgery in two weeks.